Sunday, June 12, 2011

GM Desert Proving Ground polo



This is a "swap" polo that is a bit different.

For Sunrayce, sometimes our Western Qualifiers would be at GM's desert proving ground in Mesa, Arizona. It is a lovely spot in the desert (as you might gather from the name) with the Superstition Mountain range in the background.

I worked registration for the event, just inside the high brick wall meant to keep out prying eyes. Our contact at the proving ground was Margaritte, a nice young lady, who hung out and kept us company once the bulk of participants had entered.

We struck up a trade. I would give her a Sunrayce polo, and she would send us a proving ground polo later in the mail. She was good for it, and sent this awesome polo some weeks later. Love that little cactus guy!

She also came by later with her souped up classic Pontiac, once the conversation turned to cars.

I did love this place, and got a nice orientation from one of the employees, who proceeded to take me on a tour of the high speed oval (!) in his SUV, explaining how once you were on the highest part of the oval you could let go of the steering wheel and the car would not leave the track.

One thing I did learn was never to ask for scrutiny. On my way out of the proving ground, the guard at the gate waved me through and I think I made a gesture that could be translated as "are you sure?" This guard heaved a sigh, sidled up to my car and proceeded to do a search that included everything but body cavities. Never will I ask a guard if they're doing their job by implying more searching might be needed.

No comments: