Wednesday, September 14, 2011

General Motors Electric Vehicle program polo shirt



This one will be a struggle to remember where I got this from.

In college, I was an ardent follower of GM's Impact electric vehicle (later renamed EV1), and was on the mailing list. Little did I know that of the public relations-type materials that I received came not from GM, but from a tiny PR firm named TRIO, located (at the time) in Clarkston, Michigan, halfway between Detroit and Flint.

After college, I applied for a job with the solar car race. Turns out, again it was not with GM, but with TRIO, who had been hired by GM's head of R&D to run the race marketing and operations. So I ended up in GM electric vehicle central, but not the technical part, just the marketing part.

So for Sunrayce 93, the GM Impact served as the pace car, which was awesome - it burned rubber every morning, leading the cars out of the start. I snagged a ride in it, and a ride in a Geo Storm that was serving as a mule for an advanced electric drivetrain. There were a few TRIO people who came along and handed out PR materials for the Impact.

So somewhere between 1993 and 1997 (I think) I snagged this polo shirt. Despite the stain, I kept it. Not too common anymore, considering the EV1 is dead, and this dates from the Impact days.

So there you go.

No comments: